Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Future Is As Bright As Your Faith

I think of this phrase often when I see or hear about tragedies and trials:  "The future is as bright as your faith." President Thomas S. Monson said it in 2009.  (Link to his speech:

In it, he says: "It would be easy to become discouraged and cynical about the future... if we allowed ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong in the world and in our lives...  [F]ocus instead on our blessings...   Paul declared, “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”1
... How might we have joy in our lives, despite all that we may face? ... “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you.”3     The history of the Church in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times, is replete with the experiences of those who have struggled and yet who have remained steadfast and of good cheer as they have made the gospel of Jesus Christ the center of their lives. This attitude is what will pull us through whatever comes our way. It will not remove our troubles from us but rather will enable us to face our challenges, to meet them head on, and to emerge victorious."-  President Monson

I'm thinking about this today while one of my closest friends, at age 48, lies in the hospital after a C-section with a struggling preemie that was born yesterday.  I'm scared for both of them.  I'm praying for both of them. But I know that even the most loving and fervent prayers for the most deserving and beautiful people are sometimes met with a "no" by our loving Heavenly Father whose wisdom and love exceeds our own understanding.  Yet I pray, and I hope that they will be okay.  My friend is too weak and depressed to have visitors, she texted me.  So all I can do is pray, and I am.

Another quote is coming to my mind today and yesterday. "If our lives and our faith are centered on Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever go permanently wrong."   Link to quote/article:  http://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/05/faith-in-adversity?lang=eng&query=nothing+can+ever+go+permanently+wrong

"President Howard W. Hunter said: “If our lives and our faith are centered on Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever go permanently wrong. On the other hand, if our lives are not centered on the Savior and his teachings, no other success can ever be permanently right.”

There is a peace and consolation that only God can give for certain unbearable pains. Sometimes, that peace of God is the only thing that makes sense. We keep the willingness to feel the pain that accompanies love, while keeping our faith so strong that there is a living God who is aware and involved and who will balance the scales and wipe away all our tears in the end.  We will be happy together, in the end, if not right now.

http://bcove.me/k6qq109j   This video that I recommended on my last post is the answer that the suffering or scared believers need. The Savior told his apostles, at the Last Supper before he was to be killed (and later resurrected) that they would have trials but that they should not fear. They should love one another and have peace. Watch it if you are scared or sad. It is a real, quiet source of strength.  It is a reminder that we are in this together, with Jesus leading us, and we will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog