Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Turning Fourteen

I'm letting my daughter go to her first real boy-girl party dance today.  It's a little scary.  I've grilled her about the rules-- no getting in a car with a teenage driver, dance with many boys instead of just one until you are much older, text me to come pick you up if there are bad movies, bad activities, or a bad feeling of any kind.

She is a free agent.  We all are, little by little, bit by bit.  Just like the baby's getting weaned bit by bit.  Independence dawns too fast for this mom, though.

I just want her to be as happy, carefree, and rich in every way that she can possibly be.  And I hope she can outsmart this wily world.  It ain't easy.

Meanwhile, we just got back from back to school night for my third grader.  He wishes school started tomorrow morning instead.  He is so excited.

I miss the kids when school starts.  I don't even understand people who don't miss their kids.  I am not on that planet.  I wish the school day were shorter. 

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog