Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Friday, March 04, 2011

Comforting Thoughts

The passage of time is a fact of life.  Great times pass.  People are always reminding one another to cherish the moment, seize the day, enjoy the little ones and their messes...   


Well, yesterday I looked at Baby H. lying on his changing table, fat and perfect, wearing only his diaper, holding onto his feet with both hands, smiling in his wonderful six month old way, and I started to cry! 

I am a little embarrassed to admit it.  It was a combination of gratitude for the beauty of the moment, and utter grief that I couldn't hold onto these moments-- he's growing up every day, so fast, so fast, so fast!  In the middle of my tears, suddenly, a thought came to me:  A.J. was six months old once, and so was C.E.  What if A.J. was still six months old, instead of the adorable 8 year old who ate breakfast wearing his brand new blue cub scout shirt this morning for the first time?  Would I trade my 8 year old for the 6 month old version of himself, and miss out on that?  Would I trade my 13 year old beautiful daughter for a younger version?  Of course not!  I love seeing them in each stage.  I look forward to their futures, excitedly.  I just don't want to be left out of them.  I don't want them to move away and forget that they have a doting mother on this earth!


Well, then I had another thought.  Doesn't it say in the scriptures that with God, all things are present?


I looked it up, and yes.  There are many scriptures that say that God has all things present before him at all times.  That gave me hope.  He will give us the same blessing, I am sure.  That means that in some way, somehow, we will be conscious of our beautiful present, past, and future, all at once, some day, in God's kingdom.  That is a HUGE blessing.  I am so excited about that.  I can't think of any superpower I'd rather have than the ability to keep the joyful parts of my life with me, in detail, consciously, always before me.


So, for the record, here are the scriptures, in case anyone wants to look at them more closely:


1 Corinthians 3:22

Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;Doctrine and Covenants 38:2The same which knoweth all things, for all things are present before mine eyes;


Doctrine and Covenants 130: 6-7
The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth; but they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.


Doctrine and Covenants 76:59

Wherefore, all things are theirs, whether life or death, or things present, or things to come, all are theirs and they are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.



Mormon 8:35

Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog