Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brad Pitt Says Religion is Stifling

 

I have that Shania Twain song stuck in my head today:  "So you're Brad Pitt?  That don't impress me much." This is why:

I read that Brad Pitt, our dearly beloved, world-famous, talented and handsome movie star, actually said these words:

"Many people find religion to be very inspiring.  Myself, I found it very stifling. I grew up with Christianity and I remember questioning it greatly. Some things didn't work for me. Some things did."

(At this point, I am wondering which ones worked best for him and which did not.  Perhaps he likes the idea of miracles, like the resurrection, but not repentance, which can involve uncomfortable collisions with reality and truth.)  But he goes on:

"I had a lot of the questions that the film presents," Pitt continued. "That's why it spoke to me. I grew up being told God is going to take care of everything and it doesn't always work out that way. And then you're told 'Well, it's God's will.' I got my issues. Man, you don't want to get me started."

No, we don't, Mr. Pitt. 

Oh, but there's more. 

He reminds me of another former Christian who I read about today, a not un-famous writer named Anne Rice.

Anne Rice says:

"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."   Say what!??

(I have not read an Anne Rice book, nor will I; but you would think that a not un-famous writer like Anne Rice would have a sense of logic, at least.)  But it gets worse.  It gets downright crazy:

In another post, Rice admitted, "I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity."

That makes about as much sense as someone saying that she remains committed to her spouse, but she will no longer be living in the same house, sharing meals, kisses, or vacations.

It's nuts!

I tell you, anti-religionists scare me.

I've seen enough Ingemar Bergman movies to have a clue about some people's vision of religion as oppressive and foul.  And I get it.  Hypocrisy, arrogance, and priestcraft is certainly oppressive and foul.  But why do people paint all religion with the same broad brush?  It's like saying all blondes are dumb!  Or all Muslims are pro-Taliban!  Or all pizzas are created equally!  

I like how Alma, in the Book of Mormon, deals with Korihor, the anti-Christ, who seriously reminds me of Brad Pitt at the moment.  http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/30?lang=eng

For the non-Mormons or short-memory-holders out there, the short version of the story is this:  Korihor is a smooth-talking, slick and sly anti-Christ, (see Alma, chapter 30, Book of Mormon) Korihor said:

"...Why do ye yoke yourselves with such foolish things?  Why do ye look for a Christ?... it is the effect of a frenzied mind... there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature...whatsoever a man did was no crime..."

And Korihor "did rise up in great swelling words... accusing them of leading away the people after the silly traditions of their fathers... "

So, Alma put him in his place, with brilliant truth http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/30?lang=eng   and also, by striking him dumb (speechless) by the power of God.

Unable to talk, Korihor then wrote:  "I always knew there was a God, but the devil hath deceived me..."

Of course there is a God!  Everything denotes the fact of God-- all creation!  The planets, the people, the oceans, the sky--- of course, of course, we all know it deep down:  there is a God.

Do we understand everything?  No, but some day we will.  He will reveal anything to the least person that he's revealed to the greatest prophet, as soon as he/she is humble, willing and ready to live by that knowledge.  I believe this.

I believe in a loving God!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog