Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Monday, May 16, 2011

Homework and Discipline

I read recently that "discipline" comes from "disciple," so when you discipline a child, you are showing that child how to be a better disciple of Christ.  I like thinking of it that way because it takes any anger right out of the equation.  You are just helping them do what they need to do, to be better.

http://www.math-drills.com/subtraction.shtml

This is a good free site I am using for what A.J. needs right now, as a 2nd grader: math drills.  This site gives free math worksheets, and you can print them out, easier or harder. 

He doesn't have math homework, but his teacher asks parents to work with kids at home to help them do better on their in-class math tests.  Same with spelling tests.  So we do, almost every day.

When he writes his numbers or his spelling words too sloppily, I erase them, or have him erase them, and rewrite them.  I don't  do it with any frustration.  Just matter-of-factly, I say, "Wow, this one is beautiful, but this one is too sloppy.  We'll have to erase."

I want him to have neat handwriting because he'll make fewer mistakes (esp. in math) that way.  And sloppy handwriting throughout life is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog