Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Friday, April 22, 2011

Flashmobs of Kindness April 21

 When I heard about the day of national "Flash Mobs of Kindness," (--it was yesterday, April 21st - Glenn Beck's idea--) I wanted to participate, so I found out the closest Meetup was in Park City for the Peace House (domestic violence victims' sanctuary).  My kids and I made Easter baskets and gathered other supplies and drove over and dropped them off.  It was a good experience for me and my kids, but I wish we could have met the people who received the items.

As I was reading other people's stories online, from around the country, others who had also participated in the Day of Kindness, I found this one:

"...I stopped her and asked if she was unemployed. She said, 'Honey, I've been unemployed for a year and I'm on disability.' She was in a hurry, but then I asked, 'Do you have children?' She sighed and said, 'Yes, I do.' I then pulled out the gift card from my pocket and said, 'This is a $30 Wal-Mart gift card that we would like to bless you with, and we have some bags of groceries if you want them.'The woman looked at the [gift] card, put her hand over her mouth, and as she started to cry asked, 'Are you serious?' Mom and I both said yes, and we held her as she cried for a moment. As we loaded the groceries in her car she told us something that blew Mom and I away. She said, 'I'm suppose to take my youngest daughter down to Texas Children's tomorrow for tests, and I didn't have money to buy the gas for the trip.' Now Mom and I realized why we had been led to get the gift card.

 


 
  Then the lady asked, 'Why are y'all doing this, what church are you from?' I answered, 'Ma'am, we're not with  our church, we were just lead to do to this for you because we're your American brothers and sisters, and Americans take care of Americans.' She again wiped the tears from her eyes and said, 'that's right...that's right.' "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Blog