Love has always been the most important business of life.
--- Anonymous

Friday, April 01, 2011

Yay-- I made the first set of 72-hour survival kits

I am so glad I got around to this, finally.

I made the first set of 72-hour survival kits.

I am giving two kits to A.J. and C.E.'s father tonight when we do the kid-exchange for the weekend, because I highly doubt he'll ever get around to making them and I will have peace of mind knowing they have these under their beds at his house, as well as at ours.

I did some research online and learned not to use pop-top tin cans (they can explode) and not to use things that go rancid quickly (crackers, chocolate, etc.).  My kits do not have shoes, a poncho, a metallic "magic" blanket, a mini radio, or other things I'd ideally like to have, but I am so glad they aren't too heavy for the kids to carry out in the event of an earthquake or something.  I am glad I did this and I am going to be content.  For now.  Here's what I put in each waterproof-ish canvas bag:

72 hour kit (for one person)
6 bottles of water (2 per day)
1 roll of toilet paper (in a big ziploc bag to keep it dry)
approx. 6,000 calories: 2,000 per day:
1 can beans
1 can spaghettios
1 can spam
1 can evaporated milk
1 honeybear bottle
1 jar peanut butter
1 flashlight with batteries
1 small blanket
1 bag of candy worms (oil-free to keep from going rancid)
IN A ZIPLOC BAG:
1 mini-pack of pain reliever
some band-aids
a box of matches
a pencil
an "info" paper with medical insurance numbers, relatives' names, emails, phone numbers, etc.
a very mini hand sanitizer bottle
a small, simple can opener

1 comment:

  1. I have put bags together for our family too. Definitely a work in progress, but better than nothing. I also added a "comfort item"(a stuffed animals) to my boys bags. Way to go for preparing!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Blog